The Q&A Archives: Growing a jackfruit inside, can it be done?

Question: I recently scored a jackfruit seed when someone brought the huge fruit in to work to share.

I have planted the seed and am waiting to see if it will germinate. If it does, I know that I cannot have it outside year round here (denver, CO) so I was wondering what my chances of keeping it alive indoors were?

I realize it will likely never blossom or fruit, but can I have a nice housetree in it?

Answer: Actually, if you give it the light, heat and humidity it craves, your tree will eventually produce fruit! It will produce separate male and female flowers and generally relies on wind to transfer the pollen, but you could do the same thing by transferring the pollen from the male to the female flowers with a small paintbrush. That is, if it grows and flowers for you. Treat your jackfruit tree like any other tropical plant - provide warm temperatures, keep it away from drafts, supplement winter light with supplemental lighting (while it is small you can use regular fluorescent shoplights, keeping them on 12-14 hours a day). Wintering indoors will keep it alive - don't expect it to grow much - but when the weather warms in the spring you'll want to take it outdoors. In the fall, take it back inside so it can stay toasty warm all winter. Just as a side note, seeds can take 3-8 weeks to germinate.

Best wishes with your project!