The Q&A Archives: beginners garden

Question: Hi I live in galloway nj and I have a townhouse . The association takes care of the landscape. I recently planted three shrubs and a couple of perennials. I know nothing about gardening. What is the first step, because I don't know if I should have cleaned up the rocks or if I was to put something in the soil first. Please help me. I really want to learn. What kind of books should I read?

Answer: Now that your shrubs and perennials are planted all you'll need to do is keep them watered. Shrubs need about one-inch of water per week so water deeply when you do water; perennials should be watered every 3-4 days, depending upon weather. I think a good book for a beginner is:

The Garden Primer
by Barbara Damrosch, Ray Maher (Illustrator), Carol Bolt (Illustrator), Linda Heppes Funk (Illustrator)
Publisher: Workman Publishing Company, Inc.
Pub. Date: February 2008
ISBN-13: 9780761122753

Your local library should have lots of garden related books. Enjoy!

Best wishes with your new plants!