The Q&A Archives: mold is growing on my soil!!

Question: I have an ivy house plant and for some reason mold keeps growing on top of my soil! can you please tell me how I can stop the mold from growing?? what even causes it??

Answer: Mold often grows on potting soil surfaces if the soil remains overly wet. Ivies like soil on the dry side, so watering less frequently should make your plant happy and help keep mold from forming. Check to make sure that what you're seeing is actually mold and not a mineral build-up. If you have a magnifying glass, look to see if the matter is fluffy or if it looks more like hard crystals. Fluffy is mold and should be scraped away. Mineral build up is hard and granular, and it can be leached away with copious amounts of water. Once you've determined the cause of the problem you can take action to keep it from recurring.