The Q&A Archives: Correct way to water plants

Question: I was recently given a Hedera Ivry plant on the label it says moderately moist soil. What does that mean? I was told to pinch it back to make it more fuller.

(1) How do I do that?

(2) How much water am I supposed to put on this Hedera Ivy plant and how often?

I also was given a cactus plant. I have it in the kitchen cause that is the warmest room in the house now cause of the Air Conditioner. I plan on keeping it there. I was told to water it every ten days. It's about four different cactus plants together in a 4 inch pot.

(1) How do you water this plant. A cup of water or less? Do I pour the water over the plant it's self or put it in the soil?

(2) Is there somewhere on this web site I can go to to look at the different pictures of the flowers so that I can lean the names of plants I have?

Thank you so much for your answers.

Answer: Your ivy plant will appreciate moist but not overly wet soils. The easiest way to water is to allow the top of the soil to dry so it feels dry to the touch, but not yet pulling away from the sides of the pot. When the top of the soil looks/feels dry, apply enough water that the excess runs out of the drainage holes in the pot. Then don't water again until the top of the soil feels dry. You will probably need to water more often in the spring and summer when the plant is actively growing than in the winter when the plant won't grow as fast. It's true, if you pinch off the ends of the vines they will develop two new vines where one once was. This will make it fuller.

Cactus have different watering requirements. They are used to living in dry soils and if you overwater they will rot. The best indication that they need water is when they begin to look a little thinner than they first looked. When you water, the roots transport the moisture up into the cactus and it gets plump. It stores the water as uses it as it needs it. As it uses up the water the cactus begins to shrink just a little. When you water, the cactus expands a little. Practice will help you know when to water. I would water it now and then wait at least 2 weeks before inspecting the plants to see if they are beginning to shrink a little. If so, water again; if not, wait another week to water. When it's time to water, slowly pour water into the container until it won't hold any more. Wait 5-10 minutes, then pour the excess water out. This will completely saturate the cactus mix soil. Allow it to get dry before watering again.

Best wishes with your indoor garden!