The Q&A Archives: Dracaena

Question: I live on the coast with sandy soil. Do dracaenas have special needs outdoors?

Answer: Dracaena likes moist soil so you'll want to add some compost or other organic matter to the planting area, or you can grow it in a container using potting soil. Dracaena can grow just as well indoors as it does outdoors so if your garden regularly gets frost you might want to keep it in a container and take it indoors in the winter. I grow dracaena in containers in my Seattle area garden and have yet to lose one during the winter months, but your garden may be different. Dracaena's aren't very fond of frost but they can tolerate colder climates so long as they're protected. Aside from good drainage and adequate moisture during the growing season, dracaena's are easy to grow.