The Q&A Archives: when is it too late too over seed my lawn?

Question: When is it too late to over seed my Bermuda Grass? I was told to over seed in June. Is it too late to do it now?

Answer: The answer to your question really depends upon what seed you're using. Bermuda grass is a warm season grass - it gets green during the summer months and then goes dormant during the cooler months. Most people overseed their warm season Bermuda with a cool season grass such as rye or fescue so it will continue/remain green in the spring, fall and winter months. Overseeding should be done in the late summer or early fall. However, if you are overseeding your Bermuda with more Bermuda grass seeds, June is the time to overseed because Bermuda goes dormant in the fall so any grass seeds you sow now will not come up. Hope this clarifies things for you!