The Q&A Archives: Bambi and mom have been eating everything in my garden

Question: I love Bambi and all animals but all summer I worked to feed the deer and other animals. They ate my row of concord grapes that I brought over from NY. Now Bambi (I see the tracks) has eaten my plants even the pumpkin flowers and my roses to!! Help. What can I do to protect my garden. I love animals too???

Answer: I, too, love wildlife, but I'm not too happy when they feed on my plants. The short answer to keeping deer away from a garden is a fence or a good dog. Those are the most reliable methods. You can try many different home remedy repellents suc has cayenne pepper, garlic sprays, moth balls, human hair and Dial soap, or commercial repellents such as Hinder, Repel, Deer-Away, or animal urines and motion detector/water shooting devices, but they only work temporarily. If you have a particular area that they like, consider a fence to discourage the deer from eating all your hard earned produce. Wish I had more suggestions for you. Good luck with your landscape!