The Q&A Archives: strange plants in soil around tomatoes and curled leaves on tomato plants

Question: My tomato plant leaves began to curl and droop, but are still green. I bought soil mix and transplanted the plant and added a spike to which I tied the tomato plant. After a week, the leaves were still curling. Then, I put in some Miracle Gro spikes. The next day, some mushroom looking plants were in the soil. The following day, the soil has an orange/white colored hard shell. I can't find any information on this the way, I am new to gardening and am doing so on my balcony.

Answer: Hannah,

Curling leaves on tomatoes is usually due to heat, if it is occurring on the older leaves. This is nothing to worry about. The mushrooms and yellow hard shell in the soil are decomposer fungi working on the soil's organic matter, and not harming the plant. Do a google search for "scrambled egg fungus" for a similar type of yellow fungi. There are thousands of these with various appearances but none are of concern to your tomatoes.