The Q&A Archives: watermelons

Question: HI I noticed that my watermelons are getting ripe early when they are still small and really soft. what can I do to make sure they develop fully and dont get soft? any help would be appreciated. thank you suzanne.

Answer: If your melons are ripening, pick and enjoy them regardless of size. They obviously have had all the sunshine and warm weather they need to mature. Depending upon variety, some watermelons are ripe when they're the size of a canteloupe and others when they are the size of a basketball. Still others can weigh in at 25 pounds. Climate and variety determine when they will ripen. So harvest them now - if you leave them on the vine they will rot and it would be a shame not to enjoy them at their peak of flavor!