The Q&A Archives: Raising Impatiens from Seed

Question: In past years I've raised Impatiens from seed with no problem. This year I bought some Double Impatiens (Rosetta Hybrids) and have trouble getting them to germinate. The first time I kept them under glass at 76 degrees, none came up. The second timewith new seed I kept them under glass at 70 degrees, both times I sprayed captin on top of the soil to stop damping off. To this date I've had no luck. Do you have any ideas or special instruction. Thank you. W. J. May Bloomington, IN

Answer: Sorry for the delay in answering your question! Sounds like you're doing everything right. Impatiens seeds require light, high humidity and 70-75 degrees F. for germination. Since you are having trouble, conduct a germination test on the next batch. Wet a paper towel. Place the seeds on it, cover with another wet paper towel. Fold or roll up the towels for ease of handling and place in a plastic bag. Put the bag in a warm place out of the sun and watch closely. When the seeds begin to germinate, sow them in flats or pots. Germination will begin anywhere from 7-30 days after exposure to water and light. If there is no germination, contact the company that sold the seeds and ask for a refund..