The Q&A Archives: Starting a Vegetable Garden

Question: What is the best way/time to start a vegetable garden in Colorado? I am looking for harvest in the spring and summer. What prep can I do this fall?

Answer: Fall is an excellent time to prepare your garden bed for early spring planting. Choose the sunniest spot possible and dig or rototill it up, raking out any existing vegetation. Then spread 4-5" of organic matter over the top of the bed. This will help suppress weeds over the winter months. In the spring, dig or rototill the organic matter into the planting bed and you're ready to plant. Since vegetable gardening is a challenge in Colorado, you might want to visit the following websites which contain publications from Colorado State University. These publications describe the best veggies to grow and when to plant them.

Best wishes with your new garden!