The Q&A Archives: What Zone

Question: On some zone maps, there's a spot in the middle of <br>Virginia that's a different color than the area surrounding<br>it. I haven't been able to find out the exact location of that area, if maybe I'm living in it. Any way you can find<br>out?

Answer: It looks from my map like you are right outside that area, in zone 7A...however, the zones are really just an approximation, based only on the area's average lowest winter temperatures. So, if you live in a cold spot (on the north side of a slope, ina frost pocket) you could be a full "zone" lower. I usually recommend that people err on the side of caution--if they are in a cold spot choose plants rated a zone lower, or protect marginal plants in the winter. Hope this helps!