The Q&A Archives: lawns

Question: HI
Every fall I have a battle with my grass, I rake and put down grass seed, I even cover it with straw. However my grass is patchey and thin. Pls help I feel I waste so much money on seed and am not getting the reward. Yes I put shade grass in the shade area and sun in the sun area, and I even pay Scotts to put down fertilizer and the lot. Thank you

Answer: Have you tried aerating the lawn area? You can rent an aerator at your garden center. These machines either make slicing cuts in the turf or pull out plugs. Either way you'll help improve the soil. I prefer the plugging aerators. You can leave the plugs on the lawn - they will disintegrate on their own. After plugging, spread sand over the area. The sand will work its way into the holes and help loosen the soil which will make it easier for the roots of your turfgrass to penetrate. After you've finished aerating and broadcasting sand you can reseed (again!). Then, if you keep your lawn well watered, regularly mowed and fed 3-4 times a year, your lawn should grow lush and green.