The Q&A Archives: 2 Questions - Red Hydrangea Question and New Peach Tree Question

Question: Last year I purchased a Lady in Red Hydrangea. I thought of planting it at the base of my fence with shade in the late afternoon, but decided against it for it is an area where the backyard drains to. So I placed it in my front garden, and have yet to get any flowers at all. The plant has grown 3 feet tall to about 3 feet wide. Is is not fully grown yet? Why no blooms?

2nd question - we have a Georgia Peach tree that is faily young. When we have our first freeze, should we cover it?

Thanks in advance,

Sherri Hultner

Answer: Now that your hydrangea is in its permanent spot and it has had all summer to become established, it should bloom for you next year. As for your peach tree, it should be fine over the winter months. What you want to protect are the flower buds in the late winter/early spring if a hard frost threatens. If so, simply sprinkling the unopened flower buds with water should provide all the protection they need.

Best wishes with your garden!