The Q&A Archives: Texas Lawn

Question: Hi we are fairly new to Texas, our grass has some big pale patches on 2 spots on my front lawn, how do I know if it is caused either by grubs or by fungus, last year it was grubs but this year someone suggested it is possibly a fungus, I cant tell the difference. Please help. Thanks....also could I put preventatives for both grubs and fungus at the same time or could that damage the grass?

Thank you, Myra

Answer: Myra,
Take a sample to your County Extension office along with a photo of two of the area. They may be able to tell what the cause is of this lawn problem. You may want to contact their office first to find out how to take a proper sample so your trip is not wasted. Once they identity the problem an appropriate remedy can be prescribed.