The Q&A Archives: Why wont my magnolia bloom?

Question: 2 years ago I bought a magnolia stellata at a Home Depot at end of season. I planted it in September. The leaves are gorgeous but I have been dissapointed 2 seasons in a row with no flowers. Is there a specific fertilizer or soil addendum that I should be using. It gets morning sun and I water deeply 2- 3 x a week.

Answer: About the only thing that will keep a healthy magnolia stellata from blooming is a late frost that kills the flower buds before they open. There's not much you can do to keep this from happening, aside from planting it in a protected area so it will not begin to grow as quickly in the early spring, which will delay the formation of flower buds, which might keep them from being damaged by a late frost. Wish I had more options to share!