The Q&A Archives: Starting a flower garden in the coastal and tropical region

Question: I would like to start a flower garden in the front of my home. The front of the house faces east and there is no shade in the early part of the day. The ground is sand and clay and I intend to bring top soil in. But after that, I don't know what to plant. I do have an elephant ear philadendrom that isgrowing quite well in that area. I would like to attract butterflies and birds to the area.
In the back of the house is conserve area and I would like to plant wildflowers along the perimeter of the yard. Can I just over seed along the grass or do I need to dig up the area first?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Answer: Fleurette,

You should lightly scratch the surface of the soil prior to spreading wildflower seeds this fall. You can bring in some soil for the flower planting areas but I'd also mix a few inches of compost into the surface prior to planting. The following web sites will be helpful to you in choosing plants: