The Q&A Archives: Low Growing Thyme

Question: We left two inches between the bluestones in our patio and walk to grow a low ground cover to give it the look and feel of an English garden and understood that there is a low growing thyme we could use. Where can we get it?

Answer: There is a very low growing thyme called Woolly Thyme (Thymus pseudolanuginosus). It forms an undulating mat about 2 inches high. Its leaves are very tiny, gray and kind of woolly. I would suggest setting out young plants in spring or summer. These plants can generally be found at any good garden center.<br><br>My mother grew these in up-state New York with great success. They smelled just wonderful when trod upon and the green between the stones always looked lovely. <br><br>If you can't find the plants locally, try Carroll Gardens (ph# 800-638-6334)--they carry a large selection of thymes on pages 66 and 67 of their current catalog. (By the way, wooly thyme is also called "wooly mother-of-thyme".