The Q&A Archives: Yellowing leaves

Question: What can I do to prevent the leaves on my geraniums from turning yellow. I planted the geraniums in late April and they were fine until about the middle of August when the leaves started to turn yellow, dry up and eventually fall off.

Answer: Geraniums are considered annual plants outdoors except in the warmest regions so it's natural for them to begin to look old and tired by the end of August. In general, the lower leaves of a plant are the first to die as a plant ages. If there is a nitrogen or moisture deficiency, lower leaves send their reserves to the leaves higher up the plant. Perhaps your geraniums are just old, in which case you can take 3-4" cuttings from the vigorously growing shoot tips, root them in water, and transplant them to fresh potting soil. Then you can overwinter them indoors and replant outdoors next spring.