The Q&A Archives: No blooms on rose bushes

Question: All over I see rose bushes with so many roses on them. I have two bushes that only have a few roses on them each year. Otherwise they are just green bushes.
Not much to look at?
What can I do? I live on Long Island, NY

Answer: Some roses bloom only once a year - in the early summer. Other types are called long blooming roses and they produce flowers all summer long. You may have the type that blooms only once a season. If you're sure yours are repeat bloomers, then they are either not getting enough sunshine (minimum 8 hours a day), or they need to be fed, or they should be pruned in the early spring to encourage new flowering shoots and stems. Hope this information helps you determine the cause of non-flowering so you can take the steps necessary to encourage more flowers!