The Q&A Archives: Bugs on my bushes

Question: I have some type of very little white bug all over my bush and on my evergreen, what can I do to get rid of it before it kills my bush. They killed one bush last year and they keep coming back. All so I want to kill my lawn and start over this month I just have to many weeds. And what is the best grass for my area. And do the new quick lawn grass seed work.

Answer: The bugs could be mealybugs if they look like cottony tufts, but they might be something else. Adelgids have a similar appearance and they generally attack needled evergreens. You didn't specify the affected plant so I can only guess at the bug's identity. I'd suggest taking a sample of the affect plant parts to your local nursery for positive identification and control measures.

Either spring or fall are good times to renovate a lawn. Any warm season grass mixture will grow well in your region. Most nurseries have customized mixes, blended especially for your growing area.

Best wishes with your garden!