The Q&A Archives: Lawn

Question: My lawn is always dry and has lots of weeds. How can i keep it green?

Answer: Lawns are often a mixture of several types of grasses, some cool season and others warm season. If your lawn is mainly comprised of cool season grasses, it will look dry during the warm summer months but should green up again when cool weather arrives. The best way to have a nice rich green color through most of the year is to overseed in the late spring with a warm season grass seed. Watering regularly, mowing when necessary and feeding 3-4 times a year will also help your lawn become lush and thick. I feed my lawn in April, June, September and late November to keep it healthy. If your lawn has been established for a number of years, you might consider aerating it next spring and then overseeding with a warm season grass seed. This should improve its appearance. Best wishes with your lawn!