The Q&A Archives: Lady Lavender and True Lavender

Question: I purchased Burpee's Perennial Lavender, Lady and Burpee's herb, True Lavender, thinking these were two different kinds of lavender. I just noticed that the botanical name is the same. What's the difference? Are the the same? Why are they packaged differently?

Answer: Lavender (Lavandula) comes in several varieties: L angustifolia is English Lavender, L dentata is French Lavender, L stoechas is Spanish Lavender, and L latifolia is Spike Lavender. Each of these hybrids has slightly different appearance and growth habits. Some are upright, some are sprawling, and sometimes the flowers are a slightly different hue. The plants you chose will look different; Lady Lavender is a dwarf 'English' variety that will grow only about 15 inches high, and flower the first year. True Lavender (L officinalis) is the most widely planted lavender and will grow 3-4 feet high and as wide. Its slower growing than the dwarf 'Lady Lavender'. You purchased two distinctly different plants. Hope this clears up the confusion.