The Q&A Archives: toadstools, mushrooms in my lawn

Question: First it was Raccoons and grubs in my new lawn, and now it is lots of little mushrooms, scattered all over the Southwest side of the lawn. Southeast side doesn't have anything. What do I do now? Thanks for your help.
Newbie gardener.

Answer: Gardening can sometimes be challenging - but I think it is always rewarding! Mushrooms grow where there's lots of moisture and some decomposing organic matter. This organic matter can be from decomposing tree roots, old construction debris under the soil surface, dead grass roots, or even a light layer of compost beneath your lawn's surface. The best way to control them is to rake them out of the lawn, or pick them individually and dispose of them. Try to do this before they mature enough to drop spores (which can result in even more mushroom growth). As long as your lawn looks healthy and grows well, the mushrooms can be considered a nuisance, not a precursor to disease.

Best wishes with your garden!