The Q&A Archives: Lilacs in Florida

Question: I greatly miss the Lilacs I had when I lived in VA. I'd love to grow some here in north Florida, but haven't been able to find any reliable info regarding a variety that will grow well here. Several friends have told me they'd heard of a lilac for this area, but didn't know the details. Any & all information you can find on growing lilacs in the deep south will be greatly appreciated!

Answer: Due to our long hot, humid summers, Lilacs are not recommended for Norh Florida. I cannot find any reference to a variety that will do well in North Florida. There are, however, many beautiful tropical shrubs you can enjoy, that you could never have grown in Virginia. Perhaps you can find one that will fill the space that lilacs have left in your heart! If you'd like some suggestions for flowering shrubs, please submit another question via the web site.