The Q&A Archives: How to take care of asters?

Question: I just planted 3 aster flowers in my bed around my mailbox. They are located in full sun. I am wondering how should I take care of them. Do I need to deadhead them...when do I do this? Obviously, they are looking great right now, but I just am looking to get advice for later on in the year. Also, am I suppose to cut them back in the winter? Any advice you can give would be great.

Answer: Asters are perennial plants that grow best in full sunshine and with regular watering. Depending upon weather I'd water deeply once or twice a week and clip off the flowers as they die. Your new plants should bloom right up until the first frost. In the spring, when new shoots and stems begin to emerge from the crowns of the plants, cut away the old dead foliage. Enjoy your new plants!