The Q&A Archives: Flowers

Question: I planted a trumpet vine this year and it has grwon beautifully up the trellis. The greenery is great, but it didn't have any blooms. Fall is now it going to get any flowers on it?

Answer: It probably won't bloom for you this year. I suspect it was establishing its root system this summer and will be ready to grow and bloom for you next year. Just keep in mind that if it is overfed, you'll be getting lush growth but no blooms. So, don't feed your trumpet vine. If it is growing close to a lawn area and you regularly feed your lawn, the roots of your plant could get too much nitrogen and the plant won't bloom. While you may not want to stop feeding your lawn, do be careful with fertilizer application near the trumpet vine.

Best wishes with your garden!