The Q&A Archives: Robellini with powdery substance

Question: I have 5 robellinis throughout my yard and they all have a powdery white substance on them. It is primarily in the center and where the new growth is, and on the trunk. A few are turning really yellow and the new growth looks dead. Can these be saved? And can you please tell me what the white stuff is?

Answer: The white stuff is most likely powdery mildew. It can be controlled with Neem oil. the yellowing might be caused by the powdery mildew or by a manganese deficiency. You didn't mention whether or not you're regularly feeding your palms - there are several brands of fertilizer especially formulated for palms. Apply according to label directions and you should see an improvement in the color of the fronds.

Best wishes with your robellinis!