The Q&A Archives: Sod

Question: I had bermuda sod put in my back yard about 6 weeks ago. It was doing great now I'm getting several spots that are turning brown and dying. What can I do to stop this.

Answer: Bermuda sod should have a thick, healthy root system and as long as it makes good contact with the soil, the roots should penetrate and the grass should remain green. If it is not making good soil contact, it will dry out faster than the rest of the lawn and turn brown. You might want to use a shovel to cut through the sod where a brown and green area meet and peel back the brown area to check the root system. If it has grown down into the soil, it has made good contact and that's not the reason for browning. Pet urine can cause brown areas (leach the areas with lots of water to reduce the residual salts; rake to remove the dead grass, then take plugs from the healthy lawn area and replant them in the brown areas. If neither of these apply, you may need to take a sample of the sod and soil to your local cooperative extension office for diagnosis.

Best wishes with your lawn!