The Q&A Archives: Dead patches of lawn that is spreading

Question: I have large patches of dead grass which are spreading. I have treated with grub control with merit by Bayer. I just purchased Ortho Bug Be Gone Max for Insects for long season control. Any other suggestions?

Answer: If you've applied insecticides, they should take care of any pests in your lawn. If the insecticides have not stopped the browning, your lawn may have a fungal disease. It's difficult to diagnose without being able to see and handle the lawn so perhaps the best thing for you to do is to take a sample of the lawn (try to cut a portion that has both healthy and brown lawn in it) and take it to your local cooperative extension office for positive identification and suggested remedies for your lawn.

Coop. Ext. Education Ctr.
University of Rhode Island
3 East Alumni Ave.
Kingston, RI 02881
(401) 874 - 5997

Best wishes with your lawn!