The Q&A Archives: Curling leaves on Lilac Bush

Question: I purchased a lilac bush late in the season after most of the flowering. The leaves are a healthy green but they have curled down. Can you explain?
Thank you.

Answer: If the leaves had brown, crispy margins, or spots, or prematurely turning yellow, I'd be concerned. But since you describe the leaves as being a healthy green but curling downward, I don't think there's anything especially wrong with your new lilac. Since it is September, I suspect that nighttime temperatures are cooling which will signal your plant to stop growing and to begin the process of hardening off in preparation for winter weather. Eventually the leaves will yellow and drop. In the spring, healthy new foliage will appear, along with fragrant flowers. Enjoy!