The Q&A Archives: In-ground Compost in a 5 Gallon Bucket?????

Question: Hello. I read a small article about composting in a 5 gal bucket buried in the groud up to the lid. It said to drill several holes in bucket with e Key Hole Saw at least 6 in from lid, and bury it in yard. I am planning on trying this with 2 or 3 buckets in the next week or so. How big should the holes be?
As I add some soil green and brown material and water and turn it can I keep it up during the winter?

Have you heard of this concept. I was planning on trying this before investing in a tumbler or doing a larger one in back yard.

Answer: You can successfully compost in a 5 gallon bucket. Drill half-inch holes spaced about 6" apart all over the bucket. The key to quick decomposition is adequate air, and to a lesser degree, adequate moisture. You can do this in a bucket with a tight fitting lid by filling it with green and brown material, making sure it is as moist as a wrung out sponge and then adding a couple of cups of garden soil (which contain necessary microbes). However, you could accomplish the same thing by digging a hole in the ground, dumping in your compostable materials and then covering it up with more soil. As things decompose, the soil level will drop - an indication that things have finished and you can dig up your composted material and spread it out into your garden. Just a thought. However you decide to compost, you'll end up with nutrient rich black gold. Best wishes with your project!