The Q&A Archives: Water Barrels and ways to use that water

Question: Hello. I am planning on diverting some of my down spouts into a 55 Gal Barrel to water my flowers. My question is this... How do I get the water to the flowers? If the Barrel is Plastic I plan to add a spigot at bottom and gravity feed the water in a hose. Will this be enough pressure?

That will work on one side of house, but on other the Barrel will be below where the Flowers are.... What about a small pump? How feasible for a solar powered pump? Thanks

Answer: The distance your barrel is from the garden isn't as important as the drop in elevation, so if you install a rain barrel, set it up so it is several feet above ground level and gravity will effectively move the water through the hose. I don't think it will come out of the end of the hose in a mad rush, but it should flow freely enough to make watering quick and efficient. If, after trying your new rain barrel, you want to increase the water pressure, you can either elevate the barrel more or set an immersible pond pump into the barrel. Some are solar powered, but they aren't cheap so I'd vote for elevating the barrel!