The Q&A Archives: Sun or Shade for Camellias

Question: I have 4 camellias in my garden. They are more than 2 years old, and about 2 ft. tall. They are, however, very spindly, and only have one or two blossoms per bush. I fertilize them as directed with camellia fertilizer, and they are well watered. They arein an area that gets only a couple of hours of sun each day. Should they be moved, or is there anything else that can be done to improve their appearance?

Answer: Camellias do best in filtered shade, such as under tall pine trees; however, I have had good luck with mine in a less shaded area. This year, we had a tremendous amount of bloom. I live in the Jacksonville area and I have 4 plants.<br><br>Two hours of sun a day may be the reason they are spindly. If you have an area such as suggested above, I would move them. Continue fertilizing with azalea/camellia type fertilizer immediately after they bloom. Camelllias do not require much pruning, but if some pruning is needed, do it at this time. Keep moist, but not wet.<br><br>Good luck.