The Q&A Archives: Mushrooms in my garden

Question: Hello! My name is Serina. I just moved to a new place and want to prep my garden for flowers and herbs. however, I have these large white mushrooms that keep coming up. I took some photos I would like to show you to see if you can help me figure these things out. I don't know if I should replace the surrounding dirt or just leave them alone. Can I email the pic for you to see? my email address is thank you for your time. p.s. do you have any classes I can attend...I am a beginner.

Answer: If you really want to learn the basics of gardening, Arizona State University Cooperative Extension offers Master Gardener training. It is a thorough training in all things garden related. If you want to learn on your own, you can read the training manual (or download it, but it is several hundred pages!). The website address is:

As for the mushrooms growing in your yard, they are growing there because there is some decaying organic matter beneath the soil. This can be construction debris, decomposing tree or shrub roots, or even bark mulch. Whatever is under the soil surface is what is encouraging the mushrooms to grow. I'd dig down directly beneath the mushrooms to see if you can determine just what is feeding them. If you find dead roots, old wood, etc., remove it and you won't have any more mushroom problems.

Best wishes with your new garden!