The Q&A Archives: dollar weed

Question: How can I permanently get rid of the dollar weed in my lawn? I've tried spraying with weed and feed every 2 weeks and then fertilizing but it always comes back. Now the bermuda grass is beginning to take over. We live close to the beach and our soil is very sandy so we water with sprinklers. Can you suggest a better grass? Thanks

Answer: Melanie,
Dollar weed is best controlled with a product for broad leaf weed control. The specific product will depend on the type of turfgrass you have but I suspect something with Trimec or a mix of 2 or three post emergence broadleaf weed control products will be appropriate. I suggest you not use the weed and feed but visit your local Home Depot and ask for a product for post emergence control of broadleaf weeds.