The Q&A Archives: grass seed

Question: I live in upstate South Carolina, A good friend just finished building a new home would like suggestions on which type of grass seed he can plant now that will over-winter into spring,THANKS,Sheila

Answer: I would recommend either tall fescue or Kentucky bluegrass for getting a lawn started in the fall. Tall fescue is a persistent and durable plant and is commonly used for home lawns, grounds, parks, playgrounds, and athletic fields. Tall fescue is primarily a bunch-type grass that occasionally produces short rhizomes. Tall fescue performs well in open, sunny areas and is moderately shade tolerant. It is less suited to heavily-shaded conditions than the fine fescues, but is more shade tolerant than Kentucky bluegrass and perennial ryegrass. Tall fescue is best suited to well-drained soils.

Kentucky bluegrass is a persistent and attractive species that is used in many home lawns, institutional grounds, parks, and athletic fields. This species has a medium to fine leaf texture and a medium- to dark-green color when properly fertilized. It produces extensive underground stems, called rhizomes, which provide good sod-forming characteristics and superior recuperative potential when compared to most other cool-season turfgrasses. Kentucky bluegrass is cold tolerant, wear tolerant, and moderately heat and drought tolerant.

Good luck with the new lawn!