The Q&A Archives: Azaleas

Question: Dear Sir/Madam:

I just bought 4 beautiful azaleas bushes from my local Home Depot in Asheville, NC. They have lush dark green somewhat velvety leaves. The tag listed them as

Answer: The site you describe should be just fine for your azaleas. I wish I could help you identify them, but plants are best identified by their flowers. You might talk to the nursery manager at the Home Depot and ask who the grower is. Most garden centers purchase from a local wholesale nursery. Once you get the name of the grower you can do a web search or even phone the grower to see what your plants might be. I suspect, though, that you'll end up waiting until they bloom and then key them out. Here's an informative site hosted by North Carolina State University:

If you visit the site you can read about the different kinds of azaleas that grow in your area along with names and flower colors.

Hope this information is helpful!