The Q&A Archives: Antigonon leptopus (Queen's Wreath, Coral Vine, Rosa Montana)

Question: Where do I find seeds or plant of Antigonon leptopus? Does Home Depot carry this? What kind of soil does it need and what time of year do I plant it? I need planting instructions and source for this plant. Thank you.

Answer: Coral vine is usually readily available in garden centers (including Home Depot) in the spring. It typically is not grown from seeds but from cuttings. Coral vine is native to Mexico and grows well in Tucson in full sunshine with supplemental watering in the summertime. It is frost tender so if the temperature dips below 32F the tops of the plant will die down but the roots will remain alive and send out new stems when the weather warms up. If your local garden center does not have Coral vine in stock you may need to phone nearby nurseries. Best wishes with your landscape!