The Q&A Archives: hibiscus (rosa-sinensis)

Question: We live in southern Arizona and suddenly, my hibiscus has started looking all wilted and is losing its leaves. The night time temps. are in the hight 60s and the daytime temps are in the high 90s. Do they go dormant? Should I cut it back and if so how much. Thank you. M. Anderson

Answer: I'd check the amount of water your hibiscus is receiving. If it's on a drip system, the emitter may be clogged. If you're watering by hand, a deep soaking twice a week should help it perk up. Tropical hibiscus remain evergreen in Arizona and flower most profusely during the summer months. Sudden wilting is nearly always a water issue - or a root rot problem from poorly draining soils. Hibiscus can take any amount of pruning. Because flowers are produced on new growth, I regularly prune mine back by 6=12" several times during the growing season.

Best wishes with your hibiscus!