The Q&A Archives: Fall Lawn Preparation for Spring 2009 season

Question: I live in Evansville, Indiana and would like to know the best way to prepare my lawn this fall to have a nice green lawn sprout in the spring 2009. I would do the work myself, as I do not have money to contract someone.

Thank you,
Sheila Armstrong

Answer: Fall is an excellent time to do some renovation. The soil under your lawn can become compacted from foot traffic, and compacted soil excludes air (which roots need). You can fix compacted lawns by aerating every 2-3 years in either the spring or the fall. If you rent a power aerator, it will dislodge plugs of soil. Leave the plugs on the lawn (they'll decompose and break down in the rain). After aerating, spread a thin layer of sand or organic mulch over the top of the lawn and then water deeply. You can overseed your lawn as late as October, or you can wait until April to broadcast fresh seeds over the entire lawn area. In the warm spring weather the grass seeds should sprout in 7-10 days. By early summer you'll have a thick, lush lawn.