The Q&A Archives: Keep It Healthy

Question: Thank you for your assistance. I live in Sarasota Florida. I have (3)questons that I would like you to respond to:
(1) How do I get rid of raccoons. They are tearing up the grass> I already use Scott's to tx the food source-grubs-but the rac. still keepdigging holes.
(2)I have wll water, and I notice little white spots on my Magnolia bushes. They rub off but is it the water of a bug. How can I keep them green and healthy?
(3)I noticed some green

Answer: Moira,

Contact your local County Extension Office for advice on dealing with nuisance wildlife. Their contact info is:
Sarasota County Extension - 6700 Clark Road, Twin Lakes Park, Sarasota, FL 34241-9328
Phone: (941) 861-5000 (Ask for the Sarasota County Extension)

The spots on your magnolia leaves could be insects such as scale or aphids or mealybugs, or they may be water residue. Take some of the leaves in a ziplock bag to the Extension office to find out what the spots are.

The green stuff on your oaks is one or more of several types of lichen. These don't harm the plant and nothing need be done about them.