The Q&A Archives: Non-flowering Yoshino Cherry

Question: I have six 3 year old Yoshino Cherry trees in my front yard, For the last 2 years one of those trees hasn't flowered. They were all planted at the same time, and bought from the same nursery. What would cause this one tree not to flower?

Answer: Does the foliage all look similar? It could be that the soil the non-flowering one is growing in is somehow different than the others' soil. Since the trees are only 3 years old, it might just be that that tree needs another year before it reaches maturity. If the foliage on the non-flowering tree looks healthy, I'd just be patient.<br><br>The only other thing I can think of is that high-nitrogen fertilizer can cause lush foliage at the expense of flowers. Lawn fertilizers are usually quite highin nitrogen, so if the non-flowering tree is in a place where it would receive more nitrogen fertilizer than the others, that could be a factor.