The Q&A Archives: Wet backyard!

Question: My backyard gets waterlogged after a rain and takes awhile to dry. How do I resolve this problem? Any plant I try planting gets

Answer: The real fix for the problem would be to install a curtain drain to redirect the rainwater so it doesn't flow into your backyard. A curtain drain is simply a trench lined with gravel in which you place a pipe with perforation and cover it with more gravel, then replace the soil from the trench. The water will percolate down into the pipe which you can set to empty either into a temporary pond or out to a storm drain. The other way to deal with the seasonal flooding is to build islands for planting. These islands only need to be 12-18" high to keep the roots of your plants dry enough to survive the rainy season. Hope these suggestions help!