The Q&A Archives: Squirrels!

Question: I am experiencing a problem with squirrels digging up my garden. Is there a natural way to deter them?

Answer: The easiest would probably be to cover the soil around planting beds with sheets of 1-2 inch diameter wire mesh. Squirrels don't like to walk on it. <br><br>You can also try pruning trees so the lowest branches are at least 6 feet above ground and placing 2 foot wide metal bands around the tree trunks, positioning them so the bottom of each band is at least 2 feet off the ground. This will discourage squirrels from taking up residence in your yard.<br><br>I realize these aren't really simple solutions...but it's not a simple problem! Are you sure that squirrels are the only culprit? Could you also be having trouble with a woodchuck, or a family of rabbits?