The Q&A Archives: Moonflowers

Question: I have some moonflowers that I planted earlier in the summer which grow about 10 ft high on a trellis. I live in Saint Petersburg, Florida and was hoping that they would survive year-round. However, they have now pretty much stopped blooming and many of the lower leaves are turning yellow/brown and falling off. Is this because moonflowers are annuals and will they just slowly die? It has been a lot drier recently but I have been watering an appropriate amount.

Answer: Moonflowers are annuals, as you've guessed. Sadly, no matter how much care you give these plants, they will die at the end of the season. You can collect seeds to grow new plants, though, so you can replant as soon as the seeds are ripe. Best wishes with your garden!