The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Mountbatten Juniper Spiral

Question: I am moving some of our flower beds around and I need to dig up two five year old Mountbatten Juniper Spirals. Whats the best way to dig up? and replanting

Answer: Fall and winter and even early spring are all good times to dig and transplant your junipers. If the plants have been in the same spot for 5 years, expect a rather extensive root system and try not to sever too many roots during the move. Typically the roots will be in the top 12" of soil, extending out one and one-half times the outermost branches. In the case of a spiral, the roots will probably extend out a distance of about 12" beyond the longest branch. Start your digging there and move in toward the center of the plant. I've found it easier to dig if the soil has been thoroughly moistened the night before. After digging, wrap the rootmass in a tarp or old sheet to keep it from drying out and be sure to replant at the same soil level as it was growing before. Water thoroughly after the move and be sure to water once each week until fall/winter rains take over the job for you. By next spring the roots should be established and new growth should appear.

Best wishes with your garden!