The Q&A Archives: My little Fig Trees

Question: I have two small fig trees planted. One is a brown turkey fig and the other escapes me at the moment. But I planted them in June, and they do not seem to have grown much. One has sprouted many leaves but has really expanded in size or branches and the other hasn't grown at all. It has just grown a few little leaves. They do not recieve direct sun light all day, and I was wondering if I should transplant them to a more direct area? If I should do so, when would be the ideal time to do it?

Answer: Josh,

They are probably adjusting to their new location and establishing a good root system but should grow better next year. However a lack of water and nutrients may also be the problem. I would not fertilize now as winter is coming and you don't want to promote tender late season growth. In spring begin to fertilize them.

If they are getting at least six hours of sun that is fine. If not then I'd move them in late winter.