The Q&A Archives: Lettuce, Cucumbers

Question: I would like to grow lettuce, green beans, cucumbers, and celery in my back yard in Phoenix, AZ. The back yard faces the South. When and where can I plant them and will they be able to thrive?

Answer: There are two growing seasons in Phoenix: from mid February until the end of May, and from September to mid November. You can plant lettuce now and green beans, too (both will mature before the weather turns cold in January). Cucumbers and celery should be planted in mid-February so they will have time to mature before the hot weather sets in. Lettuce can grow in afternoon shade but green beans, celery and cucumbers should have at least 8 hours of sunshine a day. Here's a website with a gardening calendar that might be helpful to you:

Best wishes with your garden!