The Q&A Archives: White Lace Vine

Question: I bought a White Lace Vine in August. It is just now starting to grow new shoots and flowers. It is starting to get cooler here, especially at night, and I have it in a large 24 inch pot next to my arbor. Do I need to cut it back or just let it go dormant and keep growing in the spring? Do I need to cover the roots base? It is planted about 6 inches from the side of the pot it is in. Thanks

Answer: Your white lace vine is hardy to USDA zone 4 (minus 20 degrees) so it should winter over in an above ground container without problem in Yakima. Since it flowers on new growth you can cut it back in the winter or very early spring, before new growth begins. You can cut it back severely (an established plant can be cut down to ground level) or you can cut it back by two-thirds to encourage new growth. I hope that you will eventually plant it in the ground. When in a container, the roots will be confined and the plant won't grow nearly as fast nor as tall as it would if it were planted in the ground.

Best wishes with your landscape!